Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Out and about, Part II



Writers are sustained by words. We take pleasure in the sounds of words. For me, "Wisconsin," "riverside," "turpentine," are some of my favorites. They have a melodic sound totally apart from their meanings. It gives me pleasure to say them out loud.

But we can also take pleasure in images. And this summer I am going to keep a journal of images, starting with these roses from the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. The Botanical Garden has a wonderful collection of roses and we were not the only ones taking pictures. We met an old man, who had an amazing camera, who goes to the Garden several times a week to take photos, seems to know the roses personally, and to feel sad when rain knocks the petals off.

I have no story in mind right now for the images I collect this summer and I don't want to force them into a shape they don't take on their own. But I am looking forward to the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment